Pages

Labels

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"It would be impossible for me in a paragraph or a page or two or a tome or volumes one and two to help you understand the dynamics of these events."

A lesson in how to say "no comment" with maximum verbosity, from Democratic Congressman Alcee Hastings — accused of sexually harassing a woman on his staff.

AND: Aaron Worthing has read the complaint:
[T]he plaintiff seems to be a somewhat high-strung person....  It all struck me as a bit “dramatic”...

I found paragraphs 43 and 44 particularly damning.  And gosh, Hastings (allegedly) sure likes to hug her, doesn’t he?  Otherwise, as sexual harassment complaints go (in my work I have become kind of a connoisseur of them) what struck me was how ordinary it all was.  If there was ever a template for sexual harrassment, Hastings (allegedly) largely seems to fit into it.

Of course I can’t tell you how many times you get a complaint like this and you think your client is doomed, only to see if fall apart if you breathe too hard on it, so time will tell.  But right after Weinergate, I am not sure Democrats want to talk about another accusation of sexual impropriety.

0 comments:

Post a Comment