Pages

Labels

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Train station. My teeth are on edge every time I hear it. Who started it? Have they been punished?"

That's not from someone who hates trains. It's a British person complaining about "Americanism" that are infecting the speech of British folk. From a list of 50, some of which amuse me no end:
11. Transportation. What's wrong with transport? Greg Porter, Hercules, CA, US...

13. Does nobody celebrate a birthday anymore, must we all "turn" 12 or 21 or 40? Even the Duke of Edinburgh was universally described as "turning" 90 last month. When did this begin? I quite like the phrase in itself, but it seems to have obliterated all other ways of speaking about birthdays. Michael McAndrew, Swindon

14. I caught myself saying "shopping cart" instead of shopping trolley today and was thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've never lived nor been to the US either. Graham Nicholson, Glasgow...

23. To put a list into alphabetical order is to "alphabetize it" - horrid! Chris Fackrell, York...

31. "Hike" a price. Does that mean people who do that are hikers? No, hikers are ramblers! M Holloway, Accrington...

36. Surely the most irritating is: "You do the Math." Math? It's MATHS. Michael Zealey, London...

44. My brother now uses the term "season" for a TV series. Hideous. D Henderson, Edinburgh...

46. I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as "zee". Not happy about it! Ross, London
To add to the hilarious language sufferings of the Brits, it turns out that most of the examples of irksome Americanisms are "neither particularly American nor original to American English."

0 comments:

Post a Comment